Accidents involving rideshare drivers like Uber and Lyft can be complex because multiple coverages may apply to your case. The driver will likely have personal insurance but the rideshare company's coverage may apply as well. This applies whether you were a passenger in a rideshare vehicle, were a driver struck by a rideshare vehicle, or were injured as a pedestrian by a rideshare vehicle. It is important to hire an attorney that is familiar with rideshare claims because multiple coverages may apply to your specific case and an attorney will ensure all coverage options are explored.
If you were involved in a RIDESHARE ACCIDENT it is important to take the following steps:
- Contact help immediately if anyone was seriously injured and requires medical attention.
- Obtain the contact information of the driver that caused the accident, inclusive of a picture of their driver's license and car insurance information.
- Obtain the contact information and insurance information of the Uber/Lyft driver
- Obtain contact information for any witnesses at the scene.
- Call the police, ask the officer to provide you with an accident exchange form.
- Do not admit contributing to the cause of the accident or apologize to anyone involved.
- Report the crash to Uber/Lyft
- Do not speak with the at fault parties insurance company or accept any offer until first contacting a personal injury attorney.
- Vehicles involved - take photos of different angles and distances of the damage to your vehicle and the vehicle that hit you.
- Skid marks, or road conditions such as construction signs, etc.
- Any items in your vehicle that were damaged as a result of the impact.
- Medical bills (past and future)
- Lost wages (past and future)
- Pain and suffering
- Property Damage
- Permanent Injuries
In Arizona, if you were injured in a rideshare accident you must make a claim for your injuries within two years of the date of the incident. If legal action is not sought within this time you forfeit your right to sue the negligent driver. In some instances the deadline to file a claim may differ, for example if a government vehicle was involved in the crash you only have 180 days to file a claim. It is important to hire an attorney that is familiar with the statute of limitations for your specific case to ensure your claim is timely filed.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a Rideshare accident, contact Sher Law Group for a free case review. If we take your case, we will not only help you navigate through the legal process but also help you find medical providers that can properly manage your injuries and await compensation for their services until your claim is resolved. We are here to protect your rights and ensure you receive the maximum settlement to help make you whole.